Friday, June 18, 2010

Book Review: What Did You Expect??

As a part of the ChristianAudio Reviewer's Program, I get to download some audiobooks, listen to them, and write a short review. Here are my thoughts on Paul Tripp's new book, What Did You Expect??: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage.

I am far too young to give marriage advice, but if I could recommend only one marriage book to you and your spouse (or fiance), it would be this one. Both my wife and I have been challenged by it, and everything the author states is rooted squarely on biblical principles. How you view yourself, your spouse, God, and your marriage is going to affect your vertical and horizontal relationships. But Tripp doesn't just give you a firm Scriptural understanding of those things, he addresses heart issues and really makes you think and challenges you to act. I have to say, it would have been a great addition to premarital counseling.

The only thing that bothered me was the narrator would take unnecessary pauses... when he spoke. After a while I didn't pay attention to it, so it might just have been me adjusting to a new narrator. Regardless, I loved the book and still say that if you are married or thinking about getting married, this is the book that needs to be on your shelf. Strike that. This is the book that needs to be open in your hands or playing in your headphones!

To buy the audiobook, visit ChristianAudio.com (direct link to book information).
To buy the hardcover book, visit Amazon.com.

No comments: