Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Book Review: Adopted for Life

As a part of the ChristianAudio Reviewer's Program, I get to download some audiobooks, listen to them, and write a short review. Here are my thoughts on Russell D. Moore's book, Adopted for Life.

After I picked up Adopted for Life I discovered I would be taking an online class from Russell D. Moore. I don't think this disqualifies my opinion, but I figured I'd better disclose that prior to giving this book a positive review.

The book is practical, theological, and above all, pastoral. Moore elevated the importance of the ministry (yes, I said ministry) of adoption in the church by connecting the practice with the theological reality. For those of us who've been converted to Christ, we were adopted by God. Moore links the two together painting a picture using the Word of God as his easel and helped me understand the biblical text better than I ever have before.

But this book is not just about theology (though I would argue that everything is theology). Moore talks about the practical issues relating to adoption and attempts to answer, or at least, provide the framework for finding an answer to the questions people ask about adopting. From the perspective of the children, to the parents, to the community, Moore nails it and nails it well.

Moore narrates the book, which presents it the way he intended, and despite the occasional pause or a moment of non-fluidity, he does an exceptional job. I highly recommend the book to anyone considering adoption or to anyone who knows someone who has. And if you aren't considering, you may want to consider. I'm thinking about getting it for a coworker, so my recommendation should carry a little more weight.

To buy the audiobook, visit ChristianAudio.com (direct link to book information).
To buy a hard copy, visit Amazon.com.

No comments: