Monday, July 25, 2011

Back to School Again!

For the record, I am definitely taking a big risk this semester. I will be introduced to the joys and challenges of parenting and I will be taking another online class through the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. I've already ordered my books and I can tell there will be a lot to do for this semester.

In the next couple of weeks I will be making an announcement about some changes in my regular activities, but my plate is still going to be full, I can guarantee you that! I was looking over my course options for this semester and I decided to take Biblical Hermeneutics. That's a fancy way of saying "How to Interpret the Bible." I've even started on the lectures (see the above screenshot of my notes and lecture video).

I believe very strongly that an individual will learn to interpret the Bible based on how biblical truths are presented to them: through books, classes, but most importantly, the pastor. I was fortunate to have a Bible-believing pastor during my early formative years who knew how to explain passages and show how words and phrases came together within the whole of the Bible to communicate with us today. As a result I'm usually pretty good at finding the right interpretation of a passage (or at least admitting my inability to do so when I can't).

I believe this class will help me, both with teaching and preaching, as I continue to minister in, with, and among Enfoque, the Hispanic ministry of Fall Creek Baptist Church.

Knowing how to interpret and apply the Bible is vital for every believer. Too many of us want to jump right to application and ask "What does this passage say to me?" before they even consider what the author's original intention was. From what I've seen, my required textbooks are ones I'm going to keep in my library.

If you need to brush up on your skills of biblical interpretation, I suggest checking out some of these books:

Hermeneutics: Principles and Processes of Biblical Interpretation
A Basic Guide to Interpreting the Bible: Playing by the Rules
40 Questions About Interpreting the Bible (40 Questions & Answers Series)

I may be sharing a few thoughts about the books and the class throughout the semester, so stay tuned.

No comments: