Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Kindle Touch and a Taste of Fiction

My wife did the unthinkable and got me a Kindle Touch for Christmas. Everyone in my family knows that I like to have my laptop with me wherever I go. In fact, I made a point of not touching my laptop over Christmas vacation, which they all noticed and commented on. I need a few more fences in place before I ever get a smart phone or tablet.

My wife caved in and got me a Kindle Touch because it is a lot cheaper than a tablet, has limited use as an internet device, and is primarily dedicated to reading. I now use it for my daily Bible reading, reading books for review, and studying the Gospel of Mark for an upcoming class I’m teaching.

Fortunately, my wife doesn’t believe I’m spending too much time on the device. I’ve been reading more, that’s true, but she doesn’t find that to be a problem, and I’ve actually been doing more with her like playing card games and making her a fan of the show M.A.S.H.

If you don’t own an ereader, I think it’s a worthwhile investment. Although you can find a lot of cheap ones out there, I couldn’t recommend anything but a Kindle or Nook device. The Kindle and Nook stores are the ones with content, and that’s what you want with an ereader.

Crossway currently has a deal (but not for much longer) on all their ebooks in formats that work on both the Kindle and Nook devices. I highly recommend the fiction book The Sword, and its sequel, The Gift. They form part of the Chiveis trilogy (the third book, The Kingdom, comes out June 30). In the story Europe has reverted to a somewhat medieval existence hundreds of years after wars and disasters reduced humanity to almost nothing and most of our advanced technologies have been forgotten. The kingdom of Chiveis, rising from the ashes of a lost civilization, has become closed off from the outside world and is ruled by a king under the strong-armed influence of a pagan priestess. It is in this environment that a young soldier discovers a long-forgotten book about a long-forgotten God. If you liked the Chronicles of Narnia as a kid, you’ll probably like the Chiveis trilogy at a teenager/adult.

No comments: