Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"Now I see that He is the God who loves me."

Many of us know 2 Timothy 3:16; “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.” I really appreciate Paul’s fourfold listing of Scripture’s profitability, since studying the Bible produces different effects on me, whether that be learning something new, convicting me of sin, correcting my erroneous thoughts, or guiding me in right behavior.

One thing that I find so amazing as I learn about the Reformation is how the dissemination of the Word of God led to much correction of erroneous belief. It happens whenever people have learned things that don’t square with the Bible and then come face to face with biblical truth. This correction of error can mean the difference between truly grasping and embracing the gospel and misunderstanding and rejecting it.

Praise God for missionaries like J who are willing to face vigorous challenges to bring the light of the gospel to people living in darkness.

AR OF COLOMBIA (ahr) - Once a month, J, a national missionary to the Ar people, travels three hours by motorcycle to a small town and then hikes eight hours to reach the village of P. He tells one story each day for four days before making the long return trip home. The stories are having an impact. On his April trip, an Ar man told J, "I am realizing that I have wasted a lot of time. I saw God as a punishing god who was always watching me, to judge and punish me. Now I see that He is the God who loves me." Pray that those who hear these stories once a month will hear, understand and respond to His Word.

No comments: