Sunday, March 17, 2013

Mary answers "Mary, Did You Know?"


What if Mary answered all the questions of the song, Mary, Did You Know?

Interviewer: Mary, did you know that your baby boy would someday walk on water?
Mary: No. How on earth could I have known that?

Interviewer: Mary, did you know that your baby boy would save our sons and daughters?
Mary: I was anticipating a political revolution that would establish a new Jewish nation-state that would subjugate the Roman Empire, so no.

Interviewer: Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new?
Mary: Not really, no. I didn't even know that I needed to be made new.

Interviewer: Mary, did you know that your baby boy would give sight to a blind man?
Mary: No. Again, how could I have known that?

Interviewer: Mary did you know that your baby boy would calm a storm with his hand?
Mary: No. What kind of questions are these?

Interviewer: Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
Mary: No. I didn’t really understand that Jesus was coeternal with the Father. I thought he was merely a human Messiah.

Interviewer: Mary did you know that your baby boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary: No. I mean, I knew Jesus was special, but I didn’t understand that he was divine. This question isn't much different than the last one.

Interviewer: Mary did you know that your baby boy would one day rule the nations?
Mary: Kind of, but my understanding of the Messiah was limited to the idea of a reestablished Jewish nation-state that would drive out the Roman occupation.

Interviewer: Did you know that your baby boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
Mary: Now you’re talking about the fact that Jesus was sacrificed on our behalf like the Pascal lamb in the Exodus. I didn’t have any concept of a suffering Messiah at the time.

No comments: