Friday, May 10, 2013

Would you consider buying me a commentary (for less than $5)?


I have a request for anyone who is interested in helping me prepare for Christian ministry.

I’m working on building my library of reference works and the like to help me when I eventually transition over to full-time ministry, God-willing. I hope to serve as a missionary overseas, but I’m still open to the idea of working and serving as a pastor in the U.S. Since I can’t be sure whether I’ll serve in the States or overseas, I’ve been focusing on saving physical shelf space by purchasing Kindle (ebook) versions of the larger, weightier titles.

Recently the whole NIV Application Commentary Series went on sale for the Kindle, being priced between $4.74 and $4.99 until Monday, May 13, 2013. I picked up three volumes from this series (Deuteronomy, Haggai/Zechariah, and 1 Corinthians). Since I’m taking a seminary class this summer, I had to buy all my seminary books last month, and I’ll be paying for my tuition this month, so I can’t afford to buy any more.

Here’s where the request comes in: would you be willing to gift me a title for my library? It would help me in my own studies, as well as in sermon preparation when called on to preach. Sermon preparation can easily take upwards of 10 hours, and would be even longer if I were in full-time ministry, so commentaries and other resources like this can help save me time. Eventually, if I do end up overseas, I could take my entire Kindle library with me, whereas most of my physical book library might have to be left behind.

If you’re willing to help me out, below a list of the titles I’m most interested it along with a link to the title itself. The asterisk (*) marks my most wanted titles. On the right side of the product page, you’ll see a green box where you can order the title. In that box is the option to “Give as Gift.” Clicking that button will take you through the checkout process. It will require an email, so you can send it to:

wencl1440 (at) gmail (dot) com

Thank you so much if you decide to help.

Old Testament
Isaiah* (Thanks, Sharon!)
New Testament

No comments: