Monday, August 1, 2011

Wanna Read a Book with Me?

Our Hispanic ministry will be starting new discipleship groups next week. Since we believe discipleship and growth has been lacking on the whole in our ministry as of late, we decided to go back to the basics by having each group go through the book What Every Christian Ought to Know by Adrian Rogers.

I haven’t read through the whole thing yet, but I have been encouraged by what I have read. Perhaps you’re wondering what it is that every Christian ought to know. Here’re the topics pulled from the book’s table of contents:

1.      The Bible is the Word of God
2.      The Assurance of Salvation
3.      About Eternal Security
4.      What Happens when a Christian Sins
5.      How to Handle Temptation
6.      About Believer’s Baptism
7.      How to Discern the Will of God
8.      About Faith and How to Have it
9.      How to be Filled with the Holy Spirit
10.  How to Discover Your Spiritual Gift
11.  How to Pray (with Power)
12.  How to Understand the Bible

I think this book will be a great blessing to our ministry. I might have preferred a chapter on witnessing, but I’m pretty sure the book covers it in one or more of the other chapters. It really is a helpful introduction for any new Christian that will help ground them in the truth and give them a platform on which to build. The class begins next week Thursday (August 11), but we will not be discussing the first chapter until the following Thursday (August 18).

I’d like to open up to you the opportunity to read along with us and share your thoughts, questions, and insights. I’ll be writing up a document to help our participants think through what they’re reading and come prepared to share.

God willing, each week of the class on Saturday I will try to put up a brief summary of our group’s discussion, the topics we covered, some questions people had, and my overall impression of the book. I’d like to invite you to read along and participate in the comments section of those posts to discuss your thoughts with me.

If you want to pick up the book, Amazon has a hardcover and a Kindle edition available.

If you’re planning on joining me, feel free to give me a shout out on Facebook or in the comments section below. Discussion of chapter 1 begins August 20th!

No comments: