Thursday, December 15, 2011

Stop what you're doing and PRAY!

My silence is deafening. Virtual tumbleweeds are rolling across my blog. I thought that after my class life would get a little more slowed down. I was wrong. I’ve been a little busy lately.

But fear not faithful followers, I’ve got a new post on something important: prayer. I know, I know. I follow enough blogs to know what goes through my head when I see a prayer update, and maybe you’ve got as far to go as I do when it comes to growing into the image of Christ. When I see a prayer request from another country that I have little interest in, I’m liable to skip on over to the next news article about how the Republicans and Democrats can’t get along.

But prayer is supposed to be an integral part to the Christian life. It’s not just something we do on Sunday mornings, before meals and meetings, but an active communication with God. I’ll admit that many of my recent prayers have sounded more like the reading of a shopping list than any kind of pleading or praise to God.

Hannah and I were walking yesterday and we were talking about a friend we used to know who has really become alienated from friends, family, and God, walking down her own path. Hannah said, “The only thing we can really do is pray.” I said, “Then why don’t you, right now?” And she did. I think I probably talk about how this person needs prayer, or that situation needs prayer, but then I just move on with the conversation. But 1 John 3:17 says,

“But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?”
If this is true of physically caring for others, what does that mean for spiritually caring for others through prayer? Can I really say, “He needs prayer” and then deny him what I know he needs?
Take a moment, right now, to read this request and pray to God.
PA OF COLOMBIA (pah). Believers are making firm decisions not to participate in the culturally accepted rituals of the traditional church and some of their traditional religious practices. They are learning to defend their position with the Word of God. They are suffering persecution for their decision. Pray for them to remain strong in the face of this persecution, which often comes from family members and close friends.

CAFE (ColombiA's Forgotten Ethnos) PEOPLES (cah-FAY). Team CAFE writes: "Several of our stronger believers are struggling with depression. Pray that God will reveal the issues behind their struggles and heal them. This is one of many strongholds that the evil one seems to have and use with these indigenous students. Also pray for the students who have just begun to ask serious spiritual questions and are open to beginning to study God's Word for the answers."

AR OF COLOMBIA (ahr). The Ar People Team recently had a time of praying and sharing about the worldview and cultural issues of this people group. God gave significant insight into some barriers and possible bridges that this team is now working on with the Ar people. Praise the Lord for His insight and wisdom in this area!

No comments: