Friday, June 15, 2012

Book Review: The Gospel of Yes


The Gospel of Yes. By Mike Glenn. Colorado Springs: WaterBrook Press. pp. 240. 2012. ($14.99 Print | $15.39 Audio)

««««« (one)
I decided to listen to this book because I saw it had an endorsement from Thom S. Rainer and Scot McKnight. With a title like The Gospel of Yes, I thought I’d get to enjoy a thoughtful look at how all the promises of God find their Yes in Christ, with a solid foundation on the gospel (cf. 2 Cor. 1:18-20). Unfortunately this book is light on Scripture, light on the gospel, and heavy on Christianized self-actualization philosophy.

Glenn deals sparingly with Scripture, and when it does cite the Bible, he usually reinterprets the passage to be about his idea of finding our “Yes,” which roughly ends up meaning being positive and hopeful about life’s circumstances while pursuing our dreams. Some of us may need to hear that message, but this book won’t get you there with the Bible. Likewise, most of the book is silent on what the gospel is. When the gospel is touched on, sin is not presented as an offense to a holy God, and salvation is more of a necessary step for finding your own “Yes.”

Also, as I listened to this book in audio format, I was treated to the author’s frequent mispronunciations, slightly loud breathing, and audible swallowing throughout. Reading to an audience is a skill, and I’m going to make sure the next book I listen to is read by a professional.

If you’re looking for a book that touches on your life and purpose in the community of believers, try something like Crazy Love or Radical. Don’t waste your time on this one.

I received this audio book from christianaudio for the purpose of review.

No comments: