Monday, August 8, 2011

When Your Mother is Literally the Enemy

Speaking of Colombia... I came across another story in the Colombian online newspaper that I just had to share. Some friends of mine commented that most news is bad news, as in "uninspiring." This story, however, sounds like something you'd see in a movie. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes one. This story really hits home because I see in it a dim reflection of the love of God for mankind, the price that is paid for redemption, and the truth that we can be rescued from the greatest depths of sin. Please count this as a reminder to pray for Colombia. I've translated the story and reprinted it below for your reading pleasure.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Soldier Infiltrated the FARC to Free His Guerrilla Mother
For several months he was in the ranks of the enemy to convince her to demobilize.

Alias ​​'Carmenza' joined the FARC guerrillas at the age of 14 years. Her son was born in 1987 in the jungle and being bound by this subversive group to abandon him, she decided to hand him over to a family close to her husband. From that moment she lost contact with him.

Her son, with whom 'La W Radio' discussed and identified as 'Alexander', grew up in a family atmosphere. When he turned 18 years old he enlisted for military service and decided to stay in the Army to do intelligence work at that institution. Although his parents did not deny his origins, throughout his life several questions arose about his mother, including knowing what she did, how she was and where she was.

"The first time I heard from her was through a letter in which she told me what she was what she did. I also told her what I did. I tried to make her understand that this situation did not benefit her. I tried to convince her to demobilize," the soldier said on 'W'.

After knowing the whereabouts of his mother, he told the situation to his commander, and with the means that the Army gave him, he managed to locate the camp of the 34th Front where she was. The young soldier infiltrated the guerrillas with the help of 'Carmenza', who introduced him as her son.

"It was very troubling that he was there, because I was really scared that they might realize it. I was very hesitant about how to get out of there; I could not find the exit. The love for my son and the way that showed me he was the sign that I needed. I am very grateful to him," said 'Carmenza'.

The young man was in the camp for two months while he waited for the opportune moment to escape with his mother. "We had several setbacks because being a new person in the group, all eyes are on you," said the soldier.

In January, in collaboration with the Armed Forces, the youth and his mother were able to separate from the guerrilla group.

Today they are a united family. "Right now I'm seeing things through a different colored lens. When I got to the FARC I was convinced I was going to help a revolutionary process, but I realize they are diverted from their ideological principles, now I'm happy to have recovered my family," says the demobilized woman.

No comments: